Our local chapters carry out our mission of volunteering for communities and advancing local education initiatives.
We are your voice in state government
The Indiana Retired Teachers Association promotes and protects the pension program provided by the Indiana General Assembly. Likewise, we support local and statewide initiatives that improve educational opportunities for Indiana's teachers and students.
The IRTA firmly supports the following positions:
- Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) that protect pensions from erosion due to inflation and improve the purchasing power of older retirees.
- A commitment to annual appropriations designed to reduce the unfunded accrued liability of the Indiana State Teachers' Retirement Fund.
- Monies deposited in the Teachers' Retirement Fund or the Pension Stabilization Fund, a sub-fund of the Teachers' Retirement Fund, must only be used for the sole purpose of paying teacher pensions.
- A military service credit policy that treats all retired teacher veterans equitably.
We also advocate these additional positions:
- The funding and integration of comprehensive elder care and long-term care programs.
- A program that will require full state support for the post-1995 teacher pension fund.
- A program that will shelter a significant portion of any state pension from state taxation.
- And continued careful monitoring of legislation that impacts the quality of life of retired educators.
The Indiana Retired Teachers also believe:
- Indiana State Teachers' Retirement Fund (TRF) recipients have a right to an annual cost-of-living adjustments and the "13th check" when funds are available.
- The TRF must be actuarially sound and fully funded.
- The Indiana Retired Teachers Association works for beneficial legislation on behalf of its membership.
- The Indiana Retired Teachers Association provides information to assist members in lobbying legislators.
The IRTA also enhances communication with the following:
- Aid in shaping public opinion on educational matters.
- Enhance the image of retired teachers and the Indiana Retired Teachers Association.
- Improve general acceptance of the Indiana Retired Teachers Association's legislative program.
- Educate the public on the Indiana Retired Teachers Association's chosen issues of concern.
How you can help
- Continue to call, write letters and/or send an email to legislators to ask support for our legislative programs and to thank them for their support.
- Write letters to local newspaper editors urging support and/or thanking legislators for supporting our legislative program.
- Attend local information sessions.
- Maintain personal contact with your state legislators.
- Establish email and/or telephone lists so that contacts can be made on vital legislative issues.
- Continue state, area or local luncheons or breakfasts to discuss our issues with legislators.