Pay it forward in education
As an IRTA member, you have a great way to make a difference in the teaching profession and in your communities.
As a partner of the IRTA, our Foundation promotes the welfare of retired teachers, supports those who are currently teaching and encourages people to enter the profession.
To support that mission, the IRT Foundation sponsors:
- Scholarships for students studying education and going to Indiana colleges and universities.
- Assistance for an IRTA member who is undergoing a temporary or emergency hardship.
- Grants for active teachers to foster creativity in the classroom.
The IRT Foundation Board of Directors, appointed by the IRTA President, manages the finances and programs of the IRT Foundation.
The IRTA provides assistance for new Foundation programs and activities. However, the Foundation primarily relies on the generosity of IRTA members for our funding.
You can support the IRT Foundation by:
- A dollar per member donation from each local IRTA chapter each year
- Memorial donations
- Gifts and bequests from individuals, families and groups
- Participation in our travel programs
- Donations for "The Giving Tree"
- Participation in the annual Silent Auction
Donations can be "unrestricted" and used where most needed.
The Indiana Retired Teachers Foundation is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization. Donations are eligible for tax credits.
The Foundation asks that each local identify a person to serve as the Foundation Representative. This person might be the person already serving as Member Concerns chair. While this is not a time-consuming position, it is a vitally important one.
Most communication is by email, so the Representative needs to have that capability. If not yet named, we ask that each local president appoints a Foundation Representative for the coming year and to forward that person's name and contact information to the IRTA office.
Shop and Support
If you shop on Amazon.com, you can support the IRTA Foundation. When you purchase items through the link below, Amazon will donate .5 percent of sales to the Foundation.